The MIA team has developed a series of online Risk Prediction Calculators to guide clinicians in prevention, early detection and optimum treatment of melanoma. These Risk Prediction Tools are intended to guide informed discussions about treatment between clinicians and their patients. The tools are underpinned by data published in peer-reviewed journals.
There are currently five online Risk Prediction Calculators:
First Primary Melanoma Risk Prediction Tool
- Designed for use by clinicians, to guide discussions with patients about sun protection habits and skin surveillance for melanoma, for those who have not had a previous primary melanoma.
- Calculator generates a personal melanoma risk, which is an estimation of risk of developing a first primary invasive melanoma during the rest of the individual’s life.
Sentinel Node Metastasis Risk Prediction Tool
- Designed for use by clinicians only in relation to patients with primary melanomas and not recurrences.
- Calculator generates probability of melanoma having spread to lymph nodes. Typically a sentinel node biopsy is recommended for patients with a risk greater than 10% and may be considered for those with a risk between 5% and 10%.
Thin Melanoma Recurrence Risk Prediction Tool
- Designed only for use by clinicians in relation to patients with primary melanomas (≤ 1.0mm) and not recurrences.
- Calculates the risks that the patient will be diagnosed with a local, regional or distant recurrence within 10 years after the primary melanoma.